Sourdough Bread for Working PeopleThis recipe is based on the terrific tutorial at: The Clever Carrot
150g of Active Starter
275g of Water
500g of Bread Flour
10g of Salt
- Put all the ingredients in a large bowl and use your hands to mix it up into a shaggy pile. Cover it up with plastic and a kitchen towel and wait 30 minutes.
- Gather the dough together and knead it for about a minute either on the counter or between your hands. As you knead, start forming it into a ball. It will start to get sticky. When that happens plop it back into the bowl, cover it with plastic and a kitchen towel and let it sit out on the cool counter overnight.
- After about 8-12 hours of fermentation, grab the bowl scraper and scrape the now risen dough into your hands or onto a super lightly floured board. It will deflate when you do this. That's okay. Form it into a ball and place it on a round parchment inside the cold dutch oven. Cover and let rise for 60 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 450°F
- Make your slashes in the dough. (X pattern, square pattern or single slash)
- Reduce the oven to 425°F and back for 20 minutes with the lid on.
- Remove the lid and reduce the oven to 400°F and bake for an additional 40 minutes.
- Let cool for several hours before eating.